In accordance with the Charter, the Institute performs research in the following areas:
- General mechanics, navigation systems, dynamics of space bodies and controlled vehicles, robotics and mechatronics;
- Control theory;
- Fluid Mechanics; aerothermodynamics of aircrafts; combustion and explosion mechanics; physical mechanics of gas discharges and laser technologies;
- Solid Mechanics; compositional and nanomaterials mechanics; tribology;
- Mechanics of natural processes and environments; geomechanics; biomechanics;
- Production and processing of the results of space experiments in the field of mechanics and materials science.
The research areas of the Institute correspond to the Basic Research Program of the State Academies of Sciences for 2013–2020, to the Plan of the Basic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences for the period until 2025 in the sections "Mechanics", "Mechanical Engineering", "Processes of Control", as well as to priority areas of development of science and technology in the Russian Federation, and to the List of critical technologies of the Russian Federation.
The official name of the Institute
- in Russian:
- full – Федеральное государственное бюджетное учреждение науки Институт проблем механики им. А.Ю. Ишлинского Российской академии наук
- short –
- ИПМех РАН
- Институт проблем механики им. А.Ю. Ишлинского РАН
- in English:
- full – Ishlinsky Institute for Problems in Mechanics of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- short –
- IPMech RAS
- Ishlinsky Institute for Problems in Mechanics RAS
Prospekt Vernadskogo, 101-1, Moscow 119526 Russia (see contacts, location map).